Resources for tenants in the City of Berkeley and beyond.
City of Berkeley information related to rental units
- Affordable Housing Resources: Includes information about Below Market Rate (BMR) units, and a link to the list of properties with BMR units. The Health, Housing, and Community Services Department oversees BMR units (not the Rent Board).
- Housing Retention Program
- Rental Housing Safety Program
- Housing Code Enforcement Inspections
- Tenant Relocation for Repairs
- Short-Term Rentals
- City of Berkeley Health, Housing and Community Services Department
- Berkeley Housing Authority
- Fair Access to Housing information
- Prohibition against housing discrimination based on source of income (BMC Chapter 13.31)
Alameda County Social Services Agency
- Shelter & Housing Services
- Season of Sharing (SOS) program: SOS Provides one-time crisis assistance for housing and critical family needs to Alameda County residents. Grants are based on meeting certain criteria and need. Assistance is not guaranteed. For more information, see the SOS website or call the automated pre-screening line at (510) 272-3700.
Small Claims Court
- Alameda County Superior Court Small Claims Court website
- California Department of Consumer Affairs Small Claims Court publication
- California Tenants’ Rights
- Everybody’s Guide to Small Claims Court in California