Data & Reports
Browse the Rent Board’s latest data and reports, as well as informational studies and articles about rent control from various sources.
QUARTERLY MARKET MEDIAN AND VACANCY REGISTRATION REPORTS
Market median rents for studio to three-bedroom units are calculated based on new tenancy information. Current tenancies are counted and reported by sub-market area.
- 2021: Q3 Q2 Q1
- 2020: Q4 Q3 Q2 Q1
- Cover Report for Q2, Q3, and Q4 of 2019 and Q1 of 2020
- 2019: Q4 Q3 Q2 Q1
- 2018: Q4 and Q3 Q2 and Q1
EVICTION DATA & REPORTS
Ellis Act Eviction Reports
- Summary of Ellis Act Evictions (1986 - June 1, 2022)
- Summary of Ellis Act Evictions (1986 - June 1, 2021)
- Summary of Ellis Act Evictions (1986 - June 1, 2020)
Owner Move-In Eviction Reports
- July 2019 - June 2022
- January 2019 - December 2021
- July 2018 - June 2021
- January 2017 - June 2020
- July 2016 - June 2019
Other Eviction-Related Reports
- "Densifying Berkeley: Potential Impacts on Displacement and Equity" by the Anti-Eviction Mapping Project (March 2022)
ECONOMIC STUDIES/IMPACTS OF VACANCY DECONTROL
- January 2019 article by Stephen Barton titled "The Economics of Residential Rent Control: A Not-So-Simple Matter of Supply and Demand," published in the January/February 2019 Issue of Dollars & Sense.
- October 2018 study by the USC Dornsife Program for Environmental and Regional Equity by Manuel Pastor, Ph.D., et al. titled, "Rent Matters: What are the Impacts of Rent Stabilization Measures?"
- October 2018 study by the UCLA Luskin Center for History and Policy by Alisa Belinkoff Katz et al. titled, "People are Simply Unable to Pay the Rent – What History Tells us About Rent Control in Los Angeles"
- September 2018 study by UC Berkeley’s Haas Institute for a Fair and Inclusive Society by Nicole Montojo, Stephen Barton, and Eli Moore, titled "Opening the Door for Rent Control: Toward a Comprehensive Approach to Protecting California’s Renters"
- June 16, 2018 paper by Stephen Barton, titled "Why California Tenants Need Rent Control"
- June 13, 2018 analysis published by Moody’s Analytics, by Andres Carbacho-Burgos, titled "A Dissent: The Economic Consequences of Unrestricted Rent in California"
- May 11, 2018 study prepared for the City and County of San Francisco Planning Department by Emily Alter, Emma Fernandez, Sam Finn, and Veronica Cummings, titled “Anti-Displacement and Community Stabilization Strategy for San Francisco: Affordability Protection Through Eviction Regulation and Rent Control"
- March 12, 2018 article published by Tenants Together, titled "Rent Control Works: A Response to Business School Professors’ Misguided Attacks"
- January 2018 paper by National Bureau of Economic Research, by Rebecca Diamond, Timothy McQuade, and Franklin Qian, titled "The Effects of Rent Control Expansion on Tenants, Landlords, and Inequality: Evidence from San Francisco"
- January 2018 study from Urban Habitat, titled "Strengthening Communities Through Rent Control and Just-Cause Evictions: Case Studies from Berkeley, Santa Monica and Richmond"
LANDLORD & TENANT SURVEYS
- 2009 Berkeley Tenants Survey Results; Presentation: Summary of 2009 Berkeley Tenants Survey
- 1998 Berkeley Tenants Survey Results
- 1984 Berkeley Tenant and Landlord Survey
BACKGROUND & HISTORICAL REPORTS
- Rent Stabilization in the 21st Century (2012)
- 1995 Berkeley Rent Increase Standards Report
- Rent Control in the City of Berkeley, 1978 to 1994
Don't see what you're looking for? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.